For Task 1:
1) Candidates write a personal letter. The letter may be informal, semi-formal, or formal.
2) The letter for Task 1 should contain at least 150 words.
3) The criterion of Task Achievement is checked here.
4) Candidates should allot 20 minutes for this task.
5) Addresses are not required to be included in the letter.
For Task 2:
6) The candidates may be instructed to discuss a topic by providing general factual information, providing solutions to a problem, presenting and justifying an opinion, or evaluating ideas and evidence.
7) The essay in Task 2 should contain at least 250 words.
8) The criterion of Task Response is checked here.
9) Candidates should allot 40 minutes for this task.
For both Tasks 1 and 2:
10) Candidates must answer both tasks.
11) The criteria of Coherence and Cohesion, Lexical Resource, and Grammatical Range and Accuracy are checked here.
12) Remember that examiners assess Tasks 1 and 2 separately.
Check out our other IELTS overview posts: