Here are some of the basic stuff about the IELTS Listening test. Read on:
1) The test has 4 sections.
2) It has a total of 40 questions.
3) A recording will be played. Candidates will hear the recording only once.
4) Candidates will hear a number of speakers who may have different accents.
5) Sections 1 and 2 of the test relate to everyday social situations.
6) In the said sections, candidates should listen for factual information.
7) Sections 3 and 4 are situated in an academic context.
8) A lecturer may be the speaker in Section 4.
9) Sections 2 and 4 are monologues.
10) Candidates are given time to read the questions, as well as given time to write down and check their answers.
11) Candidates should be careful when transferring their answers to the answer sheet, as grammar and spelling are checked.
12) Main question types are multiple choice, short answer questions, sentence completion, note/summary/flow-chart/table completion, labelling a diagram, classification, and matching.
Check out our other IELTS overview posts: